The Coggins test (agar immunodiffusion) is a sensitive diagnostic test for equine infectious anemia developed by Dr. Leroy Coggins in the 1970s.

Currently, the USA does not have an eradication program due to the low rate of incidence, however many states require a negative Coggins test for interstate travel. In addition, most horse shows and events require a negative Coggins test. Most countries require a negative test result before allowing an imported horse into the country.

It is recommended to verify that all the horses at a breeding farm and or boarding facility have a negative Coggins test before using their services. A Coggins test should be done on an annual basis. Tests every 6 months are recommended if there is increased traveling.

To schedule a Coggins test, contact your LOCAL or STATE VETERINARIAN.


A certificate of veterinary inspection is a legal regulatory document in which the attending veterinarian attests to the veracity of the information contained therein. The signing of a certificate of veterinary inspection without the following criteria being met may result in prosecution and/or the loss of licensure or accreditation:

Furthermore, to have knowledge of falsification of such documents and not reporting such to the appropriate jurisdictional authority shall be considered an act of complicity.

Nothing in this policy shall be construed to preclude the laws and regulations of the jurisdiction(s) which have statutory authority.

For a certificate of veterinary inspection for livestock, contact your LOCAL or STATE VETERINARIAN.


The main purpose of branding is in proving ownership of lost or stolen animals. Many western US states have strict laws regarding brands, including brand registration, and require brand inspections. In many cases, a brand on an animal is considered prima facie proof of ownership.

Laws were passed requiring the registration of brands, and the inspection of livestock driven through various territories. Penalties were imposed on those who failed to obtain a bill of sale with a list of brands on the animals purchased.

If you do not have a brand inspection card or bill of sale for your horse(s), contact your state brand board for a brand inspector in your area: